Last month Nicole at Thoughts Stained with Ink nominated anyone reading to participate in ‘The Pet Tag,’ a fun tag to get to know our pets. As I had a stomach bug last week it seemed like a fun, easy, post for this week 🙂
What are your pets’ names?
We have one pet at the Dragonspire (I’ve been reliably informed that Orik and Niniane, my dragon and Catwyrm from my stories, don’t count!): Merlin the Magical Kitten.
Why Merlin? Because I’m obsessed with Arthurian legend and I’m writing a story based on it. Kitten Merlin was supposed to motivate me to finish it. Instead he’s a massive distraction who often ends up shut out of my office, despite his meows of protest!
What kind of pet are they, and what breed?
Merlin’s a cat, a Ragdoll cross. His mother was half Ragdoll, a beautiful pure white, and her mother was a pedigree. Sometimes Merlin lets his lineage go to his head, and he trots around, fluffy tail in the air, like he owns the place.
We’re not sure what he’s crossed with: His mother got out one day and no one saw the father: I’m guessing he must’ve been ginger, otherwise who knows where Merlin’s ginger came from?
How long have you had your pet?
We picked Merlin up in April, the day after the Easter Bank Holiday. It was awesome, but in hindsight the timing was terrible. I was up to my neck in university assignments, and after we got this adorable little fluff ball the last thing I wanted to do was work on them!
How did you get your pet?
Initially we looked at rescues, but we couldn’t find anything suitable locally so we turned to Gumtree. Eventually (you wouldn’t believe how many sellers never respond to messages!) we found Merlin. We had to travel past Colchester to get him, a 4 hour round trip, but the lady we got him from was lovely and it was worth it!
How old is your pet?
30 weeks on Tuesday. He’s still very much a kitten! He climbs curtains, tears wallpaper from the walls and trips me up. Hopefully he’ll grow out of it: He’s biting less than when we got him at least!
What are some quirky things about your pet’s personality?
- He’s a ninja who gets everywhere, especially where he’s not supposed to be! I shut him in the freezer for a minute last week because he snuck in when my back was turned and feel horrible!
- He chases anything that moves, including Mario on TV when my partner plays games.
- He watches the neighbour’s cat obsessively, and when we’re playing he’s always looking over his shoulder hoping his friend is watching his cool pounces!
- He loves to chase a laser pen dot, and we lead him to treats with it. He’s getting too good at finding the treats without the dot. We need better hiding places!
- He flops in the middle of doorways, the stairs, and the floor, right in the way, and he steals my desk chair when I’m trying to write!
- He loves boxes and sits in them all. He used to fit in the tiny cat food box, but not any more!
What are some of your favourite times with your pet?
Teaching him paw and sit, when he carries his big toy mouse around in his mouth, all over the house, and how every morning when I come downstairs he’s sitting on his perch, waiting to leap onto my shoulder for cuddles and face nuzzles!
What nicknames do you call your pet?
Merl. Magical cat. Squishy. Sweetie. Dickcat (when he’s being naughty!).
What does your relationship with your pet mean to you?
He’s not been with us long, but I love him to pieces and would fight to defend him from anyone. It’s so nice having someone to talk to, and I never feel alone in the house when my partner’s at work. Plus his tail is the most gorgeous fluffy tail I’ve ever seen and I adore it!
Thanks for reading!
Do you have pets? Are they naughty? Good as gold? What’s their favourite toy? Your best memory of them? Chat in the comments, or feel free to do the tag if you want!
Next week, a short story!