I’ve been nominated by Ronel @ Ronel the Mythmaker for the Liebster Award! Thanks Ronel! If you love myths, in particular the Fae, and Flash fiction you should check out her blog 🙂
The rules are:
- Thank the person who nominated you for the award.
- Answer the 11 questions the person asked you.
- Nominate 11 people (comment on their blog to let them know)
- Ask the people you have nominated 11 questions
This sounded like fun! My answers are below:
My Q&A with Ronel:
1. Pantser or Planner: do you plan your projects or do you just go by ear?
Pantser. In depth plans make me bored, because once I’ve planned, I know what’s going to happen. Sometimes I get a bit lost without a plan, but I find my way eventually 🙂
Tales from Dragonspire began with a single mental image: A young boy sitting on a cliff overlooking the world, faithful dragon by his side. Since then the plot has evolved, partly because How to Train Your Dragon was released shortly after I had the idea!
2. Red or Green: in new situations do you jump in all fired up or do you watch and listen?
I watch and listen. Recently, I spent two weeks in London doing work experience at Penguin books. You can read about my experiences here: Penguin work experience tales. I had a few days in London the week before to familiarise myself with the area because I’d be by myself in a large city. (I live in a tiny town far from the capital) Without that I would have panicked and become overwhelmed. I like to know what to expect in new situations!
3. Short Stories or Novels: which do you write and why?
Novels. I write short stories weekly for Sunday Scribbles, and I’ve recently gotten into flash fiction via Flash Fic Hive, but I prefer having more words to play with, especially when it comes to original fantasy worlds. I prefer TV series over film for the same reason.
Fan fiction is a different story: Short stories are easier to write because the characters and setting are there already.
4. To NaNoWriMo or not to NaNoWriMo: will you write a complete first draft this November or not? Explain.
Complete a first draft in a month? Not a chance! I will, as I did last November, participate in NaNoWriMo, but I waffle too much to complete anything. My first draft of Tales from Dragonspire is over 200000 words and I can’t see the end of it!
I think I’ll experiment this November. I’ll plan rather than pants and see if it changes anything!
5. Give away your writing for free: do you publish short stories about your novels on writing platforms like Wattpad to generate more readers? Whether you do or don’t, explain your reasoning.
I’ve published lots of writing on my blog for Sunday Scribbles, some short stories and some related to my work in progress. Expanding to Wattpad is on my to do list.
I find publishing short stories for free good practise: both writing and editing. Hitting the submit button gets easier each week too 🙂
6. Writing competitions: do you enter them or do you shun them? Why?
I want to enter more competitions, but finding time is hard. I also dislike the idea of paying to enter. Free write events is great for listing free competitions though, and will be my first stop when I get around to entering some!
7. Social Media: Google+ or Twitter? Which one do you prefer and why?
Twitter. I forget I have Google+ half the time! Twitter is fun and allows a lot of interaction.
8. Slow blogging (once or twice a week) or daily blogging: which one appeals to you most and why?
Slow. I’ll never blog daily. It takes me 14 hours a week to blog three times a week as it is. The ideal for me is twice weekly, but I’m not willing to sacrifice Flash, Arrow, or Sunday Scribbles.
9. Fantasy (and other genres like it) or Realism: write it, read it and what appeals to you in it?
Fantasy. Dragons. Sci-Fi, Magic, Superheroes, Adventure. It’s fun, and it makes me smile. I find Realism boring. I write to escape from reality, I read to do the same. I don’t want to read about tragic car accidents or health issues. I’ve experienced that in real life and it can get me down.
10. If you could only eat one type of food for every meal forever, what would it be and why?
If it didn’t affect my health and I didn’t gain a ton of weight? My mother in law’s cupcakes. They are the most delicious cupcakes I have ever tasted, and it irks me that I cannot replicate them!
11. Oliver Queen from Smallville (first guy in green below) or Oliver Queen from Arrow (second guy in green below): who would you rather have guarding your city? Why?
Ollie from Arrow of course 🙂 Why? Because I’m a crazy fan girl who wants him in my city. Can I have Barry Allen (The Flash) too? I could watch the pair of them banter all day!
- Fanfiction: Do you approve or disapprove of it? If you write it, should you keep it separate from your original author writing or shout about it?
- Do you have any pets? If yes, what are they, and how do they help/hinder your writing? If no, what would be your ideal pet?
- What was the first story that inspired you to write? Why should we read/watch it?
- If you could have or achieve any one thing this year, what would it be? (Writing or otherwise!)
- Do you have a day job in addition to writing, or is writing your day job?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? Bonus points for pretty pictures 🙂
- Who is your favourite heroic character? What makes them special?
- Do you write every day, ad hoc, or have a different schedule?
- What do you find most challenging about writing? Why?
- Who is your favourite villain? Why are they so nefarious?
- If you could have two fictional characters brought to life, who would you choose and why?
My 11 nominees (in no particular order):
- Pontius @ https://pontiuspaiva.wordpress.com/
- Elizabeth Drake @ http://elizabethdrakeauthor.com
- Mica @http://micascottikole.com
- Santasnake @ https://dcelseworlds.wordpress.com/
- Ann @ http://annw.shannonauthor.org/
- A.S Akkalon @ http://www.asakkalon.com/
- Anjela @ http://anjelacurtis.com/
- Raimey @ https://raimeygallant.com/
- Zaireen Sultana Lupa @ https://theromanticquill.wordpress.com/
- K. Kazul @ https://kkazulwolf.com/
- Lyndsey @ https://lyndseyhallblog.wordpress.com/
It was hard to narrow down the list to 11, because there are so many of you with amazing blogs! I know a lot of you are pretty busy, so no pressure to accept: Just know that I enjoy your blogs, hence the nominations 🙂
If any of my readers fancy answering the questions in the comments, feel free. I’m really interested in opinions about fan fiction, since it’s where, many years ago, I began my journey as a writer!
Thanks for reading!